Hari Om !
Jai Kailasavasa Sankara Bhagavan ki !
Today is the holy occasion of Maha Sivaratri. Some people celebrated yesterday, March 5th and some people are celebrating today, March 6th, depending on calendar specifics.
Sivaratri is an auspicious occasion to please Lord Siva. He will be very pleased with Japa, Dhyana and Abhisheka today. Generally Upavas (fast) and Jaagaran (Night Vigil) are carried on today by devotees. Japa of Panchakshari mantra will benefit immensely. Those who are devotees of Lord Rama, should especially use this occasion to carry out Puja and Worship of Lord Siva and doing the Panchakshari Japa, as Rama is immensely pleased with this.
In Ramacharitmanas, Lord Rama tells the secret of having his devotion and darshan to the people of Ayodhya. “Those who want to develop devotion to me and have my darshan should worship Siva and do his service as there is no one who is dearer to me than Siva.” Also, our Gurudev Swami Sivananda ji Maharaj has specified that, any devotee of Rama, should engage himself in the worship of Lord Siva atleast for three months before engaging in worship of Rama. The worship of Lord Siva will remove all impurities and make our mind and hearts pure and clean.
The following can be done today according to the feasibility of the devotee:
2. Abhishek of Siva, with pure water, milk, honey, Ghee, Banana – Panchamruta Snanam
3. Decorate with flowers, Sandal paste and if available Bael leaves (Bilva or Maredu)
4. Offer Naivedyam and Arati
5. Recite Ligashtakam, Rudram, Purushasuktam, Rudrashtakam, Maha Mrutyunjaya Mantram
6. Engage in Kirtan of Lord Siva
7. Do Japa of Panchakshari or Mrutyunjaya Mantra
8. Perform Japa throughout night and do Japa with Dhyana of Lord Siva
9. Try praying only for Spiritual Upliftment, and not any material gains.
10. Offer all your worship and prayers unto Lord Siva.
Download Gurudev Swami Sivananda ji Maharaj’s article on Siva Yoga Sadhana .
Also, please hear the Audio of Siva Dhunis and simple kirtans by Gurudev Swami Chidananda ji Maharaj here.
Jai Bholenath Sankar Bhagavan ki !
Jai Viswanath Bhagavan ki !
Yours, In Service of the Lord and Gurudev,